Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Prayer Shawls...Guess I'm Grieving a Lil' Today...

PrayerShawls 1


Today is one of those days where I am doing so much thinking...probably too much because I believe I see steam coming from my ears! (need a time out nap)

Actually, I think I may be doing a little grieving too. I'm missing friends from back home, especially missing loved ones who have passed on.

With the recent surgery of my brother-in-law, it has gotten me to thinking a lot more about reaching out to others who are going through struggles. Whatever struggles they may have. The burdens are so much lighter when shared with a friend...when we pray one for another and lay those burdens at the feet of Jesus. Awesome! I want to be available to anyone who needs an ear, or just "Be". To uplift and pray for one another. Also, to rejoice with others who are celebrating too! You know...there are just some people we can be REAL with and just BE with...no pretense or anything.

In my thinking, the Lord reminded me of an important ministry that I used to be more active in. That is in the making prayer shawls.

I actually have two that I need to deliver soon. One of those visits is a difficult one because it hits home with our family. Last year this wife lost her husband to a brain tumor...young family with young children. So heartbreaking. It is difficult for our family to see this happen because only 2 yrs ago we lost our dear "GaGa" (my husband's father, my second father, and our children's GaGa) to a brain tumor.

Even after 1 yr... or even up to 7 yrs...the grieving process is in effect. No one can put a time on it for anyone else. Each person is different. All we need to do as loving brothers and sisters in Christ is to walk beside them, and love them through the process. Not say to them, "shouldn't you be over that by now???"

Grief is not a negative thing...Grief is Good.

Someone taking time to truly care..."spend time", pray...sit quietly with those who have lost loved ones...something as simple as a phone call, or a note can mean the world.

These weeks bring so much busy-ness with our family, with our move and all. I pray that I won't lose sight of the important things...such as taking a little time to comfort someone in need.

Making prayer shawls is such a wonderful experience. Working with my hands, seeing the pattern come alive and take shape, having that special time to pray and lift up in prayer the person you are making it for.

I never knew how special something like this was until I began making them. My great-grandmother made all of her children, grandchildren and great grandchildren an afghan before she died. I remember as a little girl, going to visit her in the nursing home...I would sit beside her and watch her crochet...such a sweet time that I will never forget.

It wasn't until a few yrs ago that I learned to crochet by a dear (and patient) 60 yr old friend. To be honest, I was going through a lot of working through my past...and it was such "therapy" for me to crochet and think...and pray...listen to uplifting instrumental music...pray pray pray...

Thinking of you all fondly and prayerfully.



PrayerShawls 2

5 comments:

Kalle said...

Your prayer shawls are beautiful. I love the colors you've used. I just finished the book "Back on Blossom Street" and in the ladies come together through a Prayer Shawl knitting class. It's a fun story.

Things we make ourselves always seem to hold more value than something made in the store. I know your friends will appreciate them. :) I hope you have a great rest of the day.

Debra Kaye said...

This post was absolutely beautiful. What a precious, sweet, spirit you have.

Blessings to you as you bless others with the work of your hands.

rebecca said...

What an awesome ministry you have with your prayer shawls....they are absolutely gorgeous! You are so uplifting and I have been enjoying the sweet comments you have been leaving on my blog. I am so glad that we have "met"! Thank you and God Bless You!

JDK Productions said...

Rebecca, So glad to meet you too! I so enjoy your blog...

Thank you for coming by.

Blessings to you and your family. jenn

Jenn said...

Rebecca, I didn't realize my son was signed in...so it looks like he commented back, but it was me, Jenn...hehe....

:o)