Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Sweet Cousins...I Don't Know What To Do With These, But I'm Thrilled!!!

At our family Thanksgiving get together, I took a few shots of my niece and our cousins. I can't believe how grown up they are, and so beautiful!
Here's a sepia tone...
100_9049

Also, tonight I visited a dear friend of mine who is a photographer from back home, and who is also one of my mentors. She has been working professionally for several years now.

Last month I called and told her that I had been praying about doing a little photography part time on the side. Her reply was, "I've been waiting for your call". :) She said several months before my call, God had put it on her heart to mentor me, and give me her starter lighting kit. So now that I am in town visiting family and friends, I was able to meet up with her and pick it up! YAY!

Here it is...I have no idea what to do with it yet, but I'm thrilled about it!

100_9102

It has two reflector umbrellas with lights, and one tall light that can be raised up high and cast down on the subject or used to cast light from behind the subject.


100_9103


I'll have to take a photo of it later after it is all set up. It needs bulbs... but HEY, no problem!!! :)

Also, after I got home, my mother-in-law said she had some tripods I may want. One of them is really cool...like retro baby blue! HA! Both were my late father-in-laws...when he owned a travel agency here in our hometown. These are very special to me for this reason. He and I shared a love of music and photography. :)

Here are the tripods:

100_9096

100_9097

100_9099

I'm stoked!!!

Even though I do not have a DSLR cam, she was so encouraging. She started out with a Fuji...about the same grade camera that I have (which is a Kodak P850), and produced beautiful photos. Since her business has grown, she has upgraded to a Nikon D200. Yet, she said she did weddings and put out some great photos with her Fuji.

It was refreshing to spend time with her, and she never once said I couldn't do this without a dslr ;). She shared photo editing tips (she has CS2), business and volunteer ideas. Oh, we compared my gimp editing program with hers, and there was not much I couldn't do on gimp that she does on CS2. We were amazed...

For those who do not know about it...GIMP is FREE!

What blessings from the Lord!

Thank you to those who have prayed for God's direction for me. It seems as though things are beginning to fall into place...
:)

6 comments:

Wendy said...

Your family is BEAUTIFUL!!

How fab to receive all those goodies! I am saving for a tri pod. Would be nice to not take so many blurry pics;)

Drea said...

very fun. And the tripod will be fun for you. You can do your 365 images outside now w/ that and a self timer. Thats what that girl rosie hardy does. you'll have fun with that. Ive never seen a blue one like that tho, very fun.

Mines just black

Jenn said...

Thanks gals!

Wendy, I hope it will work out for you to get a tri-pod soon. IK what you mean...some of mine are just plain blurry when I shoot indoors and have to increase the ISO on my camera. They get kinda noisy as I am forcing myself to shoot manually too. ;) I'm looking forward to trying it out! :) YEA!!

Debra Kaye said...

Jenn,

Wow...free is good! What a blessing!! Your cousins are just gorgeous!

Hope you had a great Wednesday!
Hugs to you!

Angela said...

What a neat gift from your friend. I hope you get lots of practice. Love the pictures of your nieces.

Jenn said...

Hi Debra and Angela! Thanks for the sweet comments on my photo, and glad you stopped by my blog.

Angela...I'm so thrilled and grateful for these gifts!

God is Good!!! :)