Tuesday, December 30, 2008

A Beautiful Book and Movie; Tell Me Your Favorites

As a child I had never read the book, "Anne of Green Gables". It is a classic, but for some reason I missed that one! :) Now that I am teaching the children at home, it is wonderful to go through books with them. We even from time to time rent the movie that goes with the book.

Recently we rented this movie from Netflix. It is a LONG movie...like 3 hours...but we sooo enjoyed it! What a beautiful story of hope! Jordan enjoyed it more than Josh (it is a bit girly). So I'm going to rent something more that he will enjoy next time. We have already rented Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn a few months ago. :)

If you have never seen this 1985 version of Anne of Green Gables, I would encourage you to rent it! Only, be cautioned that Anne does get her best friend Diana drunk (by mistake)...she thought she was giving her rasperry delight, but instead grabbed the wrong bottle of muscadine wine...so I had to explain with Jordan. It was a good opportunity to let her know about the abuse of alcohol though...because the little girl got very sick from it! :)

I'm so into classics and older movies that instill good values. Even with this one scene, the family values in it are so wonderful!

Some of my favorite classics and musicals are:

Sound of Music
The Music Man
Oklahoma
Gone with the Wind

What are some of your oldie favorites? I'd love to know...

5 comments:

Wendy said...

I love Anne of Green Gables:) I used to watch the series on PBS all the time! I was so sad when it was finished.

Kalle said...

Anne of Green Gables is fantastic. My family and I went to PEI a few summers ago and were able to walk through Lucy Maude's house and the woods where she wrote Anne. It was neat to be among all that history.

Gone with the wind is also another of my favorites and I really really love Breakfast at Tiffany's.

Unknown said...

I love Anne of Green Gables too! I have the movie collection and watch it all the time. :) Some of my other favorite movies are:

The Sound of Music
The Wizard of Oz
Seven Brides for Seven brothers

rebecca said...

I just LOVE Anne of Green Gables. I watched the series with my Mom back when it first aired. I had just lost my Pop Pop around the same time the series aired, so when Anne and Mirilla (sp?) lost Matthew it really hit me hard!
I used to also dream of looking like Anne's best friend Diana.....LOL!
I bought the series and I also have the books. It's such a classic and it's so awesome to get to share it with your daughter. My little girl is 16 months old so I have a long way to go for her to appreciate it!
My other all time favorite is Gone With The Wind....just love that Scarlett! :)

Jenn said...

Hiiiiiiii

Sorry, I've been out today. :) My son went to visit a Pastor's son here in town to play. So his mom and I chatted.

Wendy, I had no idea PBS had that as a series. NEAT! I wonder if I can get those in DVD. Jordan would love it!

Kalle, How NEAT to see the woods that inspired such a novel! I haven't seen Breakfast at Tiffany's. I'll have to get that one. :)

Charlotte, I haven't seen Seven Brides and Seven Brothers either. I love hearing about different movies. Thanks!

Oh Gosh Rebecca...I would have cried so hard!!! When I was a little girl, I was the sensitive middle child. I'd get so deeply moved over death too. Jordan and I cried together over the sad scenes...she was the one bringing me the most tissue tho..hehe. I've got to rent Gone with the Wind again too...love that!