Thursday, November 12, 2009

Toxic Relationships

Toxic friends repeatedly dishonor or betray you;play mind games;are unwilling or unable to see how their acts affect others;have an excuse and a finger pointing somewhere else.They take, but do not receive.They take, but do not give.They take you for granted.Their actions consistently reveal that they do not value you.They make you invisible.They refuse to name the beauty and love you bring into their lives- written by Maria Mar

Taken from this article...

Toxic Relationships-Stop the Toxic Dance

By the way...I do not believe in Karma...or a few spiritual aspects of this article. (I do believe in the law of sewing and reaping though) However, I do think the article has a lot of good points on toxic relationships in my opinion.

I've been giving a lot of thought to toxic relationships lately (and how I've allowed them to effect my life). I do not have to participate, or allow people to manipulate and mistreat me. I can love them in Christ/pray for them, but don't have to be their best buddy. ;)

Healthy Boundaries is my new motto!

2 comments:

Laci Strickland said...

Wow. This is so true!! It is so easy for me to be find myself with "toxic" friends. I think we're similar in the way we love to help people and are so giving of our time to others. This has really challanged me to be careful of friendships that are taking so much from me, but not giving in return!

Thanks Jenn!!! :-)

Jenn said...

Thanks Laci. It was nice to get positive feedback from this post.

I posted it to be helpful...was certain I was not the only person out there who has struggled with this.

There is a lot I do not agree with in the article (I do not accept New Age teachings). However, I do agree with the fact that sometimes we need to let go of those who are toxic in our lives...allow God to deal with them, and work in each of our lives individually.

I tend to run to the rescue for anyone and everyone. Yet, God is showing me that sometimes I need to stay back out of the way, be still...because HE has something to work out in that person, as God has things to work out in me as well.

Some personalities just do not mesh. No matter how much one tries to make it work.

It requires great discernment.

Hope I am making sense. I should be in bed sleeping...quite possibly may NOT be making much sense right now! LOL