After a Sunday morning service, I love to look back over my notes and study them again. Also, look up scriptures that were referenced, and take them in deeper. When I write them, read them, and type them out again, it really helps me remember them better. :D
The past two Sundays, the sermon has been on the teaching of the Baptism of the Holy Spirit. Many churches of today do not believe that those gifts are for today. We believe they are.
Here are a few of my sermon notes from this morning...sort of randomly written. :)
We are not filled "with" the Holy Spirit, we are filled "in" the Holy Spirit.
Evidence of second baptism in the Holy Spirit is 1) Speaking in tongues, 2) Prophesying.
Mark 16:17 (New International Version)
17And these signs will accompany those who believe: In my name they will drive out demons; they will speak in new tongues;
Pride will keep us from all God has for us.
1 Corinthians 2:14 (New International Version)
14The man without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him, and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually discerned.
What people do not understand, they automatically reject. Human reasoning will keep us from all God has for us.
Don't be afraid of the Holy Ghost. Allow Him to baptize you...baptism in the Holy Spirit. Why would we not want more of God in our lives?
Pastor used visual pictures for us.
- Salvation/Water Baptism: the empty glass of our lives is fill with fresh water. We are saved, we have the Holy Spirit too. We become "candidates" to received the gifts of the Holy Spirit...infilling.
- Baptism in the Holy Spirit: is like taking the full glass, and putting it inside of a huge basin full of water. We are then completely immersed, saturated, surrounded...inside, outside, the way we see things...every way we move and breath is "in" the Holy Spirit. There is evidence. Like the wind...we cannot see it, but we can see and feel the evidence that wind has moved. Evidence of the baptism in the Holy Spirit in our lives (the second baptism experience for believers): speaking in tongues and prophesying.
We need the power of the Holy Spirit in our lives, for the transformation of us, and for power in ministry. Our lifestyle should be a supernatural lifestyle, in words and in deeds. Supernatural is not in our own power, but by the power of the Holy Spirit working through us. The Holy Spirit will give us words at the right time...spirit led words, when we rely on HIM and not ourselves.
Acts 8:12-19 (New International Version)
12 But when they believed Philip as he preached the good news of the kingdom of God and the name of Jesus Christ, they were baptized, both men and women. 13Simon himself believed and was baptized. And he followed Philip everywhere, astonished by the great signs and miracles he saw.
14When the apostles in Jerusalem heard that Samaria had accepted the word of God, they sent Peter and John to them. 15When they arrived, they prayed for them that they might receive the Holy Spirit, 16because the Holy Spirit had not yet come upon any of them; they had simply been baptized into the name of the Lord Jesus. 17Then Peter and John placed their hands on them, and they received the Holy Spirit. (two separate experiences)
18When Simon saw that the Spirit was given at the laying on of the apostles' hands, he offered them money 19and said, "Give me also this ability so that everyone on whom I lay my hands may receive the Holy Spirit."
We need the baptism of the Holy Spirit, and we need the power of the Holy Spirit because we as humans in our own strength have a problem...the tongue.
James 3:8 (New International Version)
8 but no man can tame the tongue. It is a restless evil, full of deadly poison.
Life and death is in the power of the tongue. James 4:3
The Holy Spirit helps us in our weakness: Romans 8:26-27 (New International Version) 26In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express. 27And he who searches our hearts knows the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for the saints in accordance with God's will.
Praying in the Holy Spirit: Romans 8:25-27 (New International Version) 25But if we hope for what we do not yet have, we wait for it patiently. 26In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express. 27And he who searches our hearts knows the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for the saints in accordance with God's will.
Here are a few more scriptures of reference. I love God's word!
Acts 2:38-39 (New International Version)
38Peter replied, "Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. 39The promise is for you and your children and for all who are far off—for all whom the Lord our God will call."
Galatians 3:2-5 (New International Version)
2I would like to learn just one thing from you: Did you receive the Spirit by observing the law, or by believing what you heard? 3Are you so foolish? After beginning with the Spirit, are you now trying to attain your goal by human effort? 4Have you suffered so much for nothing—if it really was for nothing? 5Does God give you his Spirit and work miracles among you because you observe the law, or because you believe what you heard?
Galatians 3:14 (New International Version)
14He redeemed us in order that the blessing given to Abraham might come to the Gentiles through Christ Jesus, so that by faith we might receive the promise of the Spirit.
Hebrews 11:6 (New International Version)
6And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him.
6 Steps to being filled in the Holy Spirit
1. Repent, confess your sin, believe and receive Jesus as your Savior and Lord.
2. Water Baptism
3. Hunger and Thirst for more of God Matt 5:6, Luke 1:53
4. Ask-It is scriptural to ask for spiritual gifts. Luke 11:13 (New International Version) 13If you then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!"
5. Drink into your life the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit cannot be taken passively, we must be "open" to drinking in more of God.
6. Yielding - Yield our minds, intellect, emotions, and our will. We have to get our mind "right" about it. Romans 6:13 (New International Version) 13Do not offer the parts of your body to sin, as instruments of wickedness, but rather offer yourselves to God, as those who have been brought from death to life; and offer the parts of your body to him as instruments of righteousness.
The Holy Spirit will not hinder, He will only help. God will not give anything that will hurt us.
Enjoy this worship from one of our local worship teams.