Saturday, November 6, 2010

Ever Had A...

...Cushaw Pie?

Well, it was new to me. Our friends Woody and Lynn introduced us to the cushaw.

I just now pulled my homemade pie out of the oven (at 11 pm..what am I thinkin'! Well, it is really 10pm if you have already turned your clock back. Don't forget to fall back tonight!).

I've heard cushaw pie tastes like sweet potato pie. Well, it sure doesn't smell like sweet potato pie to me! lol I'll let you know tomorrow...after it cools and sets up.

Here is a pic of the pie I just pulled out of the oven. I cooked the cushaw in the oven (cut the whole cushaw in half and baked on 350 until the meat was soft and the skin puckered), scooped the meat out and mashed it. Then added milk, eggs, sugar, vanilla, salt, nutmeg, allspice, and a little flour...I think that is it! Well, if you click below you can see the whole recipe to make sure I did not miss anything. :)




The recipe called for lemon extract, but I went with vanilla instead. That may have been a no no. Also, I added too much milk by mistake. The recipe called for 1/4 c of cream, and I added 1 c. of skim milk. So.....not sure how this will turn out. Either way, it looked nice coming out of the oven.


You can find the recipe by CLICKING HERE for CUSHAW PIE RECIPE.

I've got pumpkin on the stove that I've baked, need to scoop and puree' for pies before I head to bed. We use my friend Cindy's pie recipe. Love it!

No comments: